Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The results of the first of many competitions.

You can still post entries if you like, but after a month and a few days it's time to highlight the entries we've had:

I'm sure everyone will agree that Gilgamesh wins, with not one but TWO entries, both of which were brilliant. I heard can't touch this on someone's radio the other week and was constantly expecting it to burst into some horse love.

Mystery Bob also had a lovely entry with his Spacker Calypso Remix, which I have chosen to blame for a recent pina colada binge. It was definitely in my head at one point when I was mixing the drinks. Never again.

The equally mysterious 'gorecki' has posted a more than decent tune, but has not left any clue as to who he or she may be. Gorecki, if you're reading this, let me know an email I can send the invite to and you can make new posts.

Onion Terror also shot off two entries, both of which fit the spirit of the game perfectly.

As is his wont, Rapitinui comes up the rear with his midi goodness - I still plan on making an entry and I'll probably be using this in it somewhere.

If you're still working on it, please don't give up. By now everyone should understand the torture of listening to something you love more than 500 times in a row. If this post has fallen down the page by the time you finish, don't hold back - just make a new post with a link to the original one. I have my creative and uncreative times, I'm sure most people are the same. You can't hurry love.

In terms of new compos, most posts should be a challenge in themselves to the other members. Post an idea for a song, some lyrics you've written, guitar riffs, little loops etc and see what other people come up with. I'll be going through the old posts here and doing my bit to show what I mean, but as I mentioned earlier, I am stuck in a musical rut right now and I need to leave it alone for a month or two and come back fresh.

There might still be announced competitions in the future, this was certainly great. Thanks to everyone that sent me this suggestion, it got me off my arse and actually doing it. Actually, I was on my arse when I did it, so even better. Feel free to announce your own competition if you have an idea, there should be more than one going at any given time.

Anyways, this is getting a bit long and I don't want this place to turn into all text, so here's a song I did a long while ago that should work with Rapitinui's baroque hip-hop track, but my midi converter is broke. Does anyone want to attempt it? Can anyone convert to an mp3 it so I can too? Do something different if you have other ideas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*does a victory lap*

This almost makes up for my band failing to win Newcastle Uni's Battle of the Bands in 1993. Almost.

Rapitinui said...

Oh, those are some sweet beats!
*dribbles*

Not sure if a straight-out mash would be best, or isolating each track.. here are the instrumental parts only.
004b instruments

"tha real" james said...

these are great.

I'm doing a late entry in just a little bit.